Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Heart Breaking story of Eric Volz

I had not heard about the story of Eric Volz until my sister-in-law forwarded this YouTube video to me: Eric Volz. I will say, I have no first-hand, personal knowledge about this case, however, if the information in the video and on the family's website is correct, this is simply heart breaking.

Of course, imprisoning innocent people is not unique to Nicaragua. Trampling an accused's due process rights is not unique to Nicaragua. In the United States, our prisons are full to bursting. Many of those incarcerated are guilty. Many are not. Despite the negative light that criminal defense attorneys are now held in (not always the case, remember Perry Mason was a defense attorney), stories like this remind me that those that prevent the State from having unbridled, unchecked power are the good guys. And Christ tells us to minister to the hungry, the sick, those in prison.

Please join me in saying a prayer for Eric Volz & his family. Please join me in praying for all those in prison, and those who suffer, all those waiting for justice.

Peace & Blessings,
Matt

2 comments:

Susania said...

Thank you Matt, for your post - as a friend of the family who has been following the case since it started in November 2006, I can verify that all the claims made in the video (and at friendsofericvolz.com) are entirely legitimate. This is a godly family that is trying everything they can to save their son... but ultimately, they know that Eric is in God's hands.

This is costing them everything they have - emotionally, spiritually, and financially. Donations are being taken at friendsofericvolz.com. Thanks!

Kath said...

I am so glad you got this. I thought of you immediately when I received it. I agree with you-- even without first hand knowledge of the case, it seems perfectly clear that the rights of the accused are nonexistent. I don't know if you saw the movie "Return to Paradise" (bad film with a very interesting plot)--it projected the idea that one of the most dangerous elements in dealing with Americans imprisoned overseas is the media effect that the prisoner's American nationality has on the adjudication and sentencing. This quickly becomes an international incident, and Eric Volz becomes a political symbol rather than an individual. It is a dangerous and scary situation.